Essential Tasks to Get Your Property Ready for Spring
Spring is the best time to freshen up your home. This not only means home spring cleaning, but also home maintenance. After a long winter, many household items can require repair or upkeep. So get your gloves prepared and check out these house maintenance jobs for spring.
- Change the air conditioner filter at least once every month. This puts less stress on the unit and enables it to work at maximum efficiency. Decide on a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter which traps microscopic particles such as mold, pollen, and dust. To replace the air filter, switch off the unit, remove the old filter, and then put the new filter in after the directions are written on their own packaging. Do not forget to also have your AC unit serviced before summer begins.
- Keep gutters and downspouts clean and in good shape to prevent family water damage. To begin with, remove debris out of the gutters with your hands or a garden trowel. Then use a garden hose to wash any residual gunk away. Other things that you ought to fix are leaky gutters and gutter escapes. Next, concentrate on the downspouts — check for clogs by inserting a garden hose in each of them. In the event of a clog, then remove it with a plumber’s drain snake.
- Assess for creature damage as cold weather can induce animals such as squirrels, rats, raccoons, and opossums to locate shelter in your home. They do all kinds of damage to enter your attic, basement or backyard shed. Search for signs of chewing gum on outside valves, wiring, and construction materials. To prevent these critters from entering your home, make sure to seal any entry points and cover attic vents with strong materials. Also, trim the trees around your home.
- Wash your garage. Type out the items on your garage into things to maintain, to give away or sell, and to throw away or recycle. Pressure wash the ground then seal or paint it, and paint the walls too. Save storage space by installing racks, storage shelves, and ropes or pulleys.
- Clean your fireplace. Give your wood-burning fireplace a makeover at the onset of spring. Remove any ash and charred logs using chimney tools, then wash out the fireplace surround. When the fireplace is clean, cover the area around it with a tarp. Do not wash — leave that to a professional chimney sweep.
- Check window and door screens. As it gets warmer outside, it is important to prevent insects from entering your home. This means you ought to check for holes in the window and door displays. Patch holes that are bigger than the size of a quarter. Additionally ensure displays are firmly fastened, lubricate door hinges, and replace broken hardware.
During spring, remain vigilant of thunderstorms and flooding. Learn how to prevent spring floods and the way to prepare for spring storms. For flood water damage restoration Hillsboro and mold remediation support, contact your local PuroClean office. Click this link to find out more.