Why You Need to Get Rid of Mold in Your Home

If you’ve experienced water damage and taken care of all repairs, but still have a musty odor in your house, probably it is the result of mold. It thrives in moist, dark, and warm areas. To correctly deodorize your house, the affected region will need to be dried and the mold properly removed. 

Ideas to remove mold related odors:

  • Check the damp places throughout your house that can support mold growth.
  • When the affected area is less than 10 square feet, you can clean it yourself by scrubbing the surface with a combination of household water and detergent.
  • Do not use bleach, as it only kills reside mold, but not mold spores, resulting in quicker mold growth.
  • For areas larger than 10 square foot, speak to a professional mold remediation business.
  • To dry an area, the very best things to use are dehumidifiers, air-moving machines, and lovers. If the issue is large in scale, then it’s best to hire a restoration company that may provide industrial-strength machines and contains mold removal experience.

If you or the restoration professional determine the musty smell Isn’t caused by mold, here are some tips to remove the odor from other materials:

  1. Following the carpet is dry, then sprinkle baking soda on it, then permit the baking soda to sit overnight. The next day, remove the baking soda using a vacuum machine.
  2. On upholstery, use white vinegar to absorb the odor. Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and spritz it to the upholstery. Wait until the vinegar air-dries. The powerful smell of vinegar, together with the musty scents, will be gone after it has dried.

When you’re not sure what to do if faced with an odor problem, speak to a restoration professional immediately, before the issue worsens. For any odor removal situation, call your regional PuroClean office.

Following a water-related catastrophe, or even whenever there’s a small flaw on your own roof, the chances for mold to grow in your house are significantly significant. Mold is associated with all kinds of health and structural problems, so removing it instantly must be a priority. Read on to learn why you need to clean the mold in your house as soon as you notice it:

  • There are over 100,000 species of mold, and all of them may be harmful. Even non-toxic molds can cause you to get sick; in fact, they’re likely to affect you, since they’re more common. Mold may also produce a respiratory illness worse through repeated exposure.
  • Sensitive individuals can create allergic reactions by touching or inhaling mold spores. Symptoms include headaches, sneezing, skin rash, runny nose, and red eyes.
  • In some cases, mold exposure may lead to chronic sinus ailments. Even if mold exposure was not the primary cause of this disease, those who suffer from chronic sinusitis should prevent any contact with mold to prevent further complications.
  • In a study from The American Journal of Public Health, the results have shown that mold in homes is linked to depression.
  • Mold can grow on almost any organic surface: wood, sheetrock, cloth, drywall, carpets, etc. Therefore, virtually all surfaces in your house are at the risk of mold growth if there is a moisture supply present.
  • An area of mold will grow bigger and bigger (if the water problem is not fixed) until professional mold restoration services are required. Act fast once you see mold in your house to reduce or prevent widespread harm.
  • Depending on the amount of the infestation, the materials on which mold develops may be restored. However, generally, softer materials infected with molds, such as carpets and mildew, will need to be replaced completely.
  • Mold on surfaces may also spread to the heating and venting system in your property. In this case, professional help is necessary. If the mold can’t be removed thoroughly, the venting system might have to be substituted.
  • Should you paint over a mold-infested surface, then the mold can eat the paint in just a couple of months. Mold needs to be removed completely before applying a new coat of paint, preferably a mold-resistant type.

This article provides important guidelines about the best way best to prevent mold growth in your property. To learn what to do and what not to do when cleaning mold, follow this link. For professional fire, mold, and water restoration solutions, contact your regional PuroClean office. Click here to learn more.

7